Numismatic Coin Club World Internet Numismatic Society
NEWSLETTER - LIBRARY ARCHIVE
HOME | NEWSLETTER | LIBRARY

2016 Baltimore Whitman Coin Show
Brandon Frei, WINS #868

I recently had the pleasure of attending the Baltimore Whitman Coin Show in Baltimore, MD. I drove early in the morning to get there right when it opened. While I was attempting to find a gas station, I stumbled upon $10 parking and decided I could fill the tank up on the way out of Baltimore. When I got to the show, it was a little confusing as to where I was supposed to fill out the entrance document but I eventually figured it out. I neglected to provide my entire address but that was not an issue. For $5, I picked up 6 raffle tickets and tucked those away in hopes of getting a phone call in November saying I won a gold coin. I stuck my nametag on my shirt and walked into the show. The place was pretty large and bigger than any show I've been to in the last 15 years. I strolled through the lines looking at slab after slab in display cases. It was really interesting to see some of the more expensive coins that I cannot afford but still enjoy seeing close up. Most of the dealers didn't seem too interested in conversation so I continued to walk until I found somewhere that caught my attention. I found a great table with a large selection of raw coins and I looked through their Liberty Nickels. I still need an XF+ with cents coin for my Type Set so this is one I often look for when I'm at a show. I found a couple that really stood out but I just couldn't bite on the price. I marked the table information to return later but ultimately did not purchase there.

I finally came to the one thing I had hoped to find: a very large world coin bin. The price was a little steep at 5/$1.00 but it was the only one available so I sat down and began to dig through the coins. The gentleman there handed me another plastic bin to transfer the searched coins through and a box lid to set aside coins I want. I spent the next 2-3 hours going through literally every coin and looking for coins I needed. The selection was pretty decent and I ended up pulling between 100-150 coins out of the bin. When I finished, my hands were so dirty, I was afraid to try to grab my cellphone because I didn't want to get the soot on my shorts.

Several times, other collectors would come and try to start picking through the lid I was setting aside coins in. I politely let them know that those coins were spoken for but they were more than welcome to look with me in the other bin. I helped a few kids look for the new British coins and another looking for "cool countries." I was disappointed that some parents were not enthusiastic about their kids digging through the world coins and would steer them towards the US Parks quarters. I made a mental note that if my daughter ever got into collecting, I would support whatever interest she has, even if I think it's silly. I had a lot of fun going through the coins and meeting people while I was searching the bin.

I finished up and did a quick count of the coins and estimated the total was between $20 and $25. I admitted I hadn't counted the coins and offered him $20 to take what was in the box. The dealer said no and proceeded to stack and count the coins. The total came to $24 and I half expected him to ask for $22. Instead, he asked for $24 so I protested that I thought $20 was more than a fair deal for 120 coins. He relented and I paid and then I poured the coins into my backpack. I thanked him profusely and left the table happily.

I then met up with a newly acquainted friend from CoinTalk and we went to lunch at Five Guys down the street. We then came back and went looking through some of the tables. I brought him to a supplies dealer and he picked up a flat clinch stapler and some cotton gloves. We talked about coins for quite a bit and I ended up giving him a ride home. I purchased an 1875 Quarter Dollar off of him for a reasonable price as well as some silver from him for near spot. We had a good time and will likely meet up at the next show.

Of the 120 coins I picked up, about 75 of them were completely new coins. That's a pretty good ratio for my world coins considering I didn't consult my world coin list and went off of memory. I also picked up some better condition coins and anything that was pre-1930 even if I didn't need it. I am more than happy to pay $0.25 a coin than to buy pounds of coins much cheaper but then have piles of unwanted coins lying around. I did find a few new countries I didn't have yet: Bahrain, Rwanda, Belgian Congo, Ghana, Sudan, and Libya. My best find was a coin that is book valued at $20 in VF and $40 in XF. I think I paid for my whole purchase with that one coin (not that I would sell it). I do hope I can bump into that dealer in a few months and get another opportunity to go through his world coin bin again.

After going to my first big show in over 15 years, I realized that larger shows are for the bigger buyers with more experience. I was very happy to find some world coins and when I am more experienced, I will more than likely enjoy the bigger shows even more. Overall, it was a great experience and worth the drive. Hopefully I can meet with some WINS members at the next event.

1857 quarter obv1857 quarter rev   World coin1 obvWorld coin1 rev

World coin set obvWorld coin set rev

Information contained on this page is posted for WINS Club Members use.
If you have any comments or problems with this or any other Club Site page,
please contact the: Operations Admin.

Copyright © 2000-2016 All Rights Reserved.        Legal Notices